UPS and UPS Freight Teamsters will vote soon to consider giving their respective negotiating committees the right to call a strike, if necessary.
The vote will be conducted by secret ballot as UPS and UPS Freight contract votes have been done in the past, but this time UPS and UPS Freight Teamsters will be using the telephone and Internet through the BallotPoint Election Services voting system.
All members will receive a standard ballot packet in the mail. But instead of a paper ballot that needs to be mailed, each member will receive an individual access code and simple instructions on how to use the access code to vote by telephone or internet.
This ballot process will be conducted by BallotPoint, an election services provider which has specialized in electronic balloting and polling since 1999. Their system is secure and protects the secrecy of each member’s vote. In other words, no one will know how you voted!
The Teamsters Union has used BallotPoint extensively over the past three years to conduct contract ratifications. All of the ratifications were conducted without incident or challenges.
Regarding the upcoming strike-authorization vote, here is the timeline:
- Balloting Information to be mailed on or about Tuesday, May 15
- All members should receive their ballot by Monday, May 21
- Local Unions can begin submitting forms on the members behalf to the Package Division requesting to be re-credentialed on Tuesday, May 22
- For Local Unions submitting forms on behalf of members to be re-credentialed, the DEADLINE is Friday, June 1 Noon Eastern Time
- Votes are due by 8 p.m. Eastern Sunday, June 3
- Deadline to submit challenges is Monday, June 4 at 8 p.m. Eastern Time
- The vote count is at 8 p.m. Eastern, Tuesday, June 5
Sign up for the UPS Rising app where you can find the current UPS contract, along with all the UPS contract updates and other news. Visit the UPS Rising Facebook page where members can see the latest updates.
Or go to www.upsrising.org to see all the UPS Rising news. Text “UPS” to 86466 to receive text message alerts (message and data rates may apply).